by Lauren Romo (Madewell)
Over here at Madewell, we love a good afternoon spent crafting (also known as a “crafternoon”). So when planning tomorrow’s Fashion’s Night Out soirée for our Lower Fifth Avenue store in New York, we knew there’d be no better way to spend the evening than by D.I.Y.-ing with our blogging gal pals from the style site Honestly…WTF. Designer Erica Chan Coffman (left) and stylist Lauren Kolodny (right) have an eye for killer style and constantly inspire us to break out the glue guns, scissors, needles and thread to make our own jealousy-inducing pieces.
In light of tomorrow’s festivities—where E and L will be giving firsthand lessons in making bow ties and collars out of Madewell denim—we had them pick their top five D.I.Y. projects. Get your creative juices a-flowin’ now and don’t forget to come out and craft with us at Lower Fifth Avenue for Fashion’s Night Out.
1. D.I.Y. Nail Art: At first, doodling on our nails seemed like a piece of cake, but we actually ended up using over 12 different nail pens, 15 polishes and a half bottle of nail polish remover to get this tutorial just right. Despite suffering from massive headaches, we were finally satisfied with the outcome. No pain, no gain, right?
2. D.I.Y. Wrap Bracelet: This has been our most popular D.I.Y. to date. It’s extremely easy, inexpensive to make and, honestly, who doesn’t love a wrist full of colorful arm candy?
3. D.I.Y. Minaudière: D.I.Y.-ing is all about being resourceful. So what do you do with that empty sunglass case after losing your favorite shades over the summer? Drill a hole through the top, add a drawer pull and make a minaudière, of course!
4. D.I.Y. Tepee: I’m not sure that people believe us when we say we built a 24-foot tepee from scratch. 400 yards of canvas, 150 buttonholes, 40 carved willow pins, 36 stress patches, 20 spools of thread, 6 smoke flaps, 21 hand-peeled poles and several weeks later, a full-size tepee was indeed built by yours truly. It was hands down the most rewarding and challenging D.I.Y. to date.
5. D.I.Y. Spike Comb: We were immediately inspired to make this spiked hair accessory after spotting it at Paris Fashion Week. We surprised ourselves as we weren’t prepared to love the end result as much as we did. It’s a bit severe but totally fun, easy to wear and proof that fashion is all about taking risks!