by Kristen Pisaturo (Madewell)
I grew up in Bergen County, New Jersey, and it’s safe to say I spent most of my high school years running around being a mallrat. So imagine my excitement when I found out that Madewell opens today at one of my favorite haunts, Garden State Plaza. (Hint: Try parking in the lot across from Nordstrom. It’s seriously never crowded.) But of course I didn’t spend all of my childhood at the mall. Here’s a rundown of my all-time favorite Jersey spots.
1. Red, White & Blue Thrift Store in Paterson (765 River St.): I never leave this place empty-handed. One of my best finds ever were these crazy high-waisted, tie-dye denim cutoffs. (Tip: Half off on Saturdays!)
2. Wild Duck Pond in Ridgewood: It’s always nice to see some green when you live in a big city, and this park is just asking for an afternoon picnic.
3. Cool Beans Coffee Shop in Oradell (304 Kinderkamack Rd.): My friends and I would cut class at least twice a week in high school to grab some crazy good chai lattes from this place.
4. Long Beach Island: I’ve been going there every summer since I was born, basically. Here’s a pic of my dad and sister in front of our beach house in Harvey Cedars, circa 1989.
5. The Rolling Pin in Westwood (341 Broadway): Five words: best sweet potato salad ever.