by Fiorella Valdesolo (Brooklyn)
It’s officially cold outside and frankly, we couldn’t be happier about it. Why? Because the dropping temperatures happen to go hand in hand with a few of our favorite things: oversized wooly sweaters, warm beverages that aren’t coffee (like apple cider and hot cocoa), evenings spent snuggled up at home playing board games. Oh and, of course, snow. In honor of this imminent winter treat, we gathered a few fun snow facts and threw together a snow-themed soundtrack.
Did you know…
• The world’s tallest snowman, built in Bethel, Maine, clocked in at more than 113 feet (that’s the equivalent of an 11-story building).
• Word of the season: Chionophobia (n.) — fear of snow
• The biggest snow fort in the world is Finland’s SnowCastle compound, which is rebuilt every winter (only to melt in April).
• The most staggering snowflake, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, fell in Montana in 1887 and was assessed to be about the size of a saucepan.
• The most epic snowball fight ever occurred on January 22nd last year in Taebaek City, South Korea. Number of throwers? 5,387!
Now for some snow tracks…