By the time August rolls around, the city streets seem to emit their own particular “eau.” You know, that unmistakable down-and-dirty swirl of urbanness that the summer heat seriously intensifies. It’s on days like these that we really appreciate perfume—originally used centuries ago by French royalty to mask such unpleasant aromas. Here, we present a few favorites, all infused with plant oils and with oh-so-relaxing benefits to help you breath a little easier no matter what comes your way.
1. When the beach seems hours (or days) away: Demeter Salt Air Purse Spray is like fresh, au naturel beach air bottled—you can almost hear seagulls cawing in the distance.
2. When the stale city air is overwhelming: Naturopathica Rose Geranium Soothing Mist is like burying your nose in a fresh bouquet of roses and geraniums, and as an added bonus it moisturizes your skin. Apply liberally.
3. When the garbage trucks roll on by: A drop of H. Gillerman Organics True Relaxation Stress Remedy, which is composed of lavender and vetiver, doubles as a portable massage oil for the temples.
4. When the subway leaves you hot and bothered: A bit of a splurge at $65, but Tata Harper Aromatic Irritability Treatment Oil is a 100-percent natural, holistic blend of quality oils (Roman chamomile, bergamot) with a subtle scent that lasts forever.
5. When you’re trapped in your small apartment and the AC breaks (again!): Diptyque Eau Rose Roll On is a cool-girl Parisian find bursting with roses that’s as chic as it is fantastically aromatique.