Just as the name implies, our Car Coat, with its swingy above-the-knee silhouette and just-cozy-enough fabric for those in-between-the-season days is pretty darn ideal for lazy weekend drives. And what would those drives be without some musical accompaniment?
Kelli Scarr, a Brooklyn-based singer-songwriter with a deliciously warm, inviting voice (her latest release is the excellent Dangling Teeth) spends plenty of time on the road touring, so she understands the importance of a sublime soundtrack. Her favorite long drive of late? The Great Skyway. “Recently I was playing a few shows in Wyoming and had the pleasure of taking a solo Sunday drive,” she says. “The Great Skyway drive takes you through the Medicine Bow Mountains and drops you into Colorado for a few minutes before you’re back in Wyoming.” With that drive along the Snowy Mountain Range Byway in mind, Scarr dreamed up the ultimate cruising mix. Our advice: Flip up your coat collar, crank open the windows and turn up these tunes.
K. Scarr’s Great Skyway Mix
1. “Rolling Along,” Lucinda Williams
2. “It’s a Big Old Goofy World,” John Prine
3. “Let The Mystery Be,” Iris DeMent
4. “L.I.E.,” The Shivers
5. “State Trooper,” Bruce Springsteen
6. “Unknown Legend,” Neil Young
7. “Riding for the Feeling,” Bill Callahan
8. “Dreamin,” Rayland Baxter
9. “Death of a Train,” Daniel Lanois
10. “Tiniest Seed,” Angel Olsen